Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Noise then vs. Noise now

Noise then was the C-Town (town town) delivery truck pulling in at 11 pm and idling for an hour.
Noise then was the garbage truck for C-Town pulling in at midnight and idling for another 1/2 hour.
Noise then was the occasional MTA subway cleaning machine, or something with an MTA logo that made a noise like a steam cleaner for a subway track.
Noise then was the occasional group of drunks arguing about nonsense.
Noise then was the occasional potential domestic violence happening over the phone.
Noise then was the B-61, then 62, and B-48 buses screeching at the stop light, the MTA never bothering to get buses with quiet braking systems.
Noise then was the clanging of the pipes all winter when the heater didn't actually give us heat.
Noise then was the old fridge buzzing on and off at regular intervals.
Noise then was constant.
Noise then kept me up all night.

Noise now is a kid shouting for someone next door.
Noise now is the blaring of a TV upstairs at 2:30 in the morning.
Noise now is Matthew coming to bed after staying up to finish his 900 page summer reading book.
Noise now is sometimes the dishwasher, when it's full enough to run.
Noise now is the kitty in the backyard saying hello or running away.
Noise now is the washing machine and dryer running at 7 am when I'm working from home.
Noise now is the couple upstairs having a chat in the morning before heading out for the day.
Noise now is bearable.

But I still want to complain and wear earplugs, because really, it's 10:45 and I'd like to get some sleep tonight, and if the TV stays on all night I won't be happy or able to wake up in time to make the train that is supposed to arrive at 6:59 so that I can leave work when the sun is full blast and with enough time to make it to a 5:30 yoga class.

That's one thing I hate, all the noise, noise, noise, noise! But it's about 100% quieter now than it was then, so I guess you can keep your TV on. Maybe you have insomnia. Maybe you are afraid of the dark. Maybe you really like late night TV. Maybe I am just a grouch. Maybe I'm exaggerating the amount of time I was kept up last night. Maybe I'm still getting used the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment